Wednesday 8 January 2014

Social Fiction Project- "The Night I Died"

Created by: Kendra Smith



On Twitter @




"The Night I Died"

June 6, 2006

            I grab my leg in agony screaming for help… but no one can hear… no one can hear my call. I slide my hand to my leg, feeling the warm velvet red blood stream out of my limb. I try and move the heavy beam off my leg, but with every push an agonizing pain runs through my body crippling me.  The excruciating pain overtakes me. My head is spinning as though I am on a merry go round. Feeling woozy I take my head and rest it on the hard concert floor. I lay my cheek upon the ground and I instantly jerk up, expecting the cold of it to cool me, but it feels as though the ground has been heated. I take a deep breath of air and a familiar scent fills my lungs.  Smoke, I turn my head towards the large metal door that leads to the hall. A  
menacing cloud of smoke creeps under the door and fills the room.
“Help me, I’m stuck,” I yell filled with panic… no response.  The heavy fog of smoke surrounds me, my eyes burn I blink but it won’t go away. My chest is getting tighter and tighter with every breath. My throat and nose are burning. My body feels like its being wrapped in a blanket of fire, my skin is being burned. I can’t do anything for myself, I can’t do this anymore. I try everything I can to spit out one more call for help, but its useless.  I’m ready to let go. The room is spinning, and I’m not able to see straight. I feel like I’m in a movie, my life is being played and then paused… I feel myself coming in and out of consciousness. I brace myself, but my body collapses. I find myself struggling for air, grasping on to my life. The flames grow higher and higher engulfing the room that once was mine. I can feel someone grasping my hand, but there’s no way someone could be with me.  I feel a wave of peace, the pain is gone.  My sight comes into focus and I see my body limp on an ambulance stretcher, body dirtied with burns. Right next to me is my mother, holding my hand.  
            “Is she gone?” my mother says, as she turns to the paramedic face painted with pain.  The soft-spoken paramedic looks up at my mother.
            “We’re doing the most we can Ma’am,” with his head held low and his feet pacing. I can tell my mom know the worst, watching her body crumble to the ground grasping her face sobbing. Sirens fill the air with the sounds of horns. I watch my neighbour, my best friend Faith pull up in her drive way face full of panic. As she runs down the street to see what happened her father stops her.
            “Faith honey, there has been a terrible accident with Cammy. She didn’t make it,” he says with a trembling lip. All I see is my best friend fall into her father’s arms.  I scream to my mother and best friend that I’m okay, so desperately I want them to hear me. But I know they will never hear my voice again.



No comments:

Post a Comment